Birth-control- Going to an Ob-Gyn tomorrow for basically the second time in my life, any questions to ask?:fCare

What birth control options are available?



Barrier methods. Examples include male and female condoms, as well as the diaphragm, cervical cap and contraceptive sponge. Short-acting hormonal methods. ... Long-acting hormonal methods. ... Sterilization. ... Spermicide or vaginal gel. ... Fertility awareness methods.




My experience : Going to an Ob-Gyn tomorrow for basically the second time in my life, any questions to ask?



Hi!

I've (26 yo) grown up with heavy bleeding- I was hospitalized at 10 after my second period ever because I had such terrible menorrhagia I went into hypovolemic shock and had 2 units of blood transfused (woo). I was on Seasonale for maybe 8 months but my parents at the time didn't like me as a 10 year old being on Birth Control, but I've always had heavy bleeding. I've been chronically anemic since then, taking iron pills, and always having low ferritin stores. When I went to my pediatrician at age 14, she said she couldn't prescribe OCPs or send me to an ob/gyn bc I'm South Asian and I'm a virgin, and my mom who was there believed her.

I've been toughing it through, but now I"m a 3rd yr medical student finishing clinical rotations, and holy shit when you're pulling long days of 24 hr shifts with heavy bleeding, it's been next to impossible finding bathrooms to change pads every hour.

For context, on my heaviest days I bleed through an always overnight heavy infinity pad every 1-2 hours (and I wear a Thinx heavy flow period underwear) and sometimes THAT even stains. The heavy bleeding is only for 2-3 days though, but it's just affecting my quality of life, and even the pants I can wear tbh.

I went to an ob-gyn year before medical school, they put me on LoLoestrin Fe, which began the breakthrough bleeding for 2 weeks of basically a pad every 3-4 hours. I called, I was then put on Taytulla where I took 4 pills one day, then 3, then 2, then started a new Taytulla pack and it was "supposed" to stop. Then I just was so exasperated I demanded a follow-up, and the ob gyn said to stop. She prescribed something higher at the time, but I was so disillusioned by birth control pills and the breakthrough bleeding (why is this a thing WHYYY) I stopped. Pandemic happened, but now I'm in a position where I'm tired of the bleeding. I'll tough through the breakthrough bleeding. But I'm also in a position (I've been a virgin up until this point) where I would like to start having sex, but as a rational medical student who's done an Obgyn rotation, I know I would want to be on reliable contraception.

Question:

How do I even explain all of this to an ob-gyn in a 15 minute appointment?

Does anyone NOT go through breakthrough bleeding on the OCP or even the Mirena IUD? Just the cost and thought of wearing pads for months straight is seriously depressing?

ANY recommendations on OCPs (Not LoLoestrin Fe, not Taytulla) that don't cause breakthrough bleeding? Maybe I'm just producing so much estrogen the pill isn't enough??

submitted by /u/Reddresscries
[link] [comments]
SHARE

Milan Tomic

Hi. I’m Designer of Blog Magic. I’m CEO/Founder of ThemeXpose. I’m Creative Art Director, Web Designer, UI/UX Designer, Interaction Designer, Industrial Designer, Web Developer, Business Enthusiast, StartUp Enthusiast, Speaker, Writer and Photographer. Inspired to make things looks better.

  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Please ...
Don't enter span link...