Birth-control- I hate The Depo Shot: A long story in under researching.:fCare

What birth control options are available?



Barrier methods. Examples include male and female condoms, as well as the diaphragm, cervical cap and contraceptive sponge. Short-acting hormonal methods. ... Long-acting hormonal methods. ... Sterilization. ... Spermicide or vaginal gel. ... Fertility awareness methods.




My experience : I hate The Depo Shot: A long story in under researching.



I'm a lot older than most here (36). I got on the depo shot for multiple reasons, but the top 3 being:
1) My SO is dead convinced birth control can regulate mood swings...I know it doesn't, so this was going to be an "I told you so." Petty, I know. 2) I wanted to have sex without fear of getting pregnant. I wanted to make sexual decisions on my terms. 3) My friend wouldn't shut up about how amazing it was for her. I talked to her about it recently and she said "My periods were already irregular, so I saw no difference." I thought I'd share my experience for anyone on the fence about it.

I originally wanted the nuvaring. I used it in college and absolutely loved it. I hated birth control pills because I always forgot to take them and needed something where I could "Set it and forget it."

BUT, being that I'm older, my doctor said estrogen based hormonal birth control was not an option at all because they can increase the risk of cancer in older people. So my only two options were Depo Shot or IUD. Since the depo shot is covered by my insurance (and I didn't need to make another appointment to start), I went that route BEFORE doing my research. This is what has happened to me.

Almost Immediate side effects (first week): The feelings and sensations of a panic or anxiety attack (tight chest, feeling like I can't catch my breath, restlessness), dizziness, headache (migraine at like a 5 for two days), hot flashes, mild insomnia due to hot flashes.

Side effects within the first month: Worse Hot flashes (anything over 80/26 degrees felt like someone had a heater right on my skin), dizziness, hunger changes (I was either not hungry or insatiably hungry), HOLY CRAP THE MOOD SWINGS, fatigue, random cramping (like a quick punch to the gut and gone...did not need to use a heating pad), Acne, random body aches.

Side effects on the second month: WORSE ACNE (I have not had an acne outbreak this bad since I was 18), WORSE MOOD SWINGS (and yeah, I did tell my SO "What happened to regulating this? Doesn't work that way, does it?"), WORSE HOT FLASHES (it was cold at night and I couldn't feel it. Any blanket made me almost instantly hot), fatigue, so much sweating, random dizzy spells, Oh my god cravings for spicy and salty foods (No, I didn't eat these all the time), acid reflux (sometimes), heartburn (sometimes), extremely light period followed by a medium heavy period 2 weeks later...which hasn't ended.

Third month, this month: LONG PERIOD (OVER 30 DAYS) WITH - BLOATING, not really cramping, the smell (every time it "restarted" was like day 1 or 2 of the cycle), The cost (I went through all my period products and my kid's period products with how often I needed to change). It's like I'm on day 3-4 of my regular cycle, but ALL THE TIME; WORSE FATIGUE, deep depression, WORSE HEARTBURN (daily), WORSE ACID REFLUX (daily), Acne not so bad, HUNGER, weight gain (about 5 lbs in two months).

My cycle was finally lightening up after 30 days of constantly being the same heaviness. I thought it would stop over the next few days. So when my doctor recommended shot 2 (because my iron levels were good and "Most have their periods stop completely. This is just a normal process. Again, most stop their periods entirely after the second or third shot.... * Big smile *" ) I stupidly got it.

It's been 3 days since and my cycle....RESTARTED AGAIN! IT'S LIKE IT'S DAY ONE ALL OVER AGAIN! I JUST RESTOCKED ON PERIOD PRODUCTS! This is not including the number of underwear that are now badly stained because of inconsistent bleeding and me not being able to figure out which product was best for that day (I just got the longer pads at this point).

It should go without saying...I'm an emotional wreck! I haven't had sex in 5 weeks, my cycle is never-ending, and the purpose of getting on this was to have sex without getting pregnant! What's the point if I can't have sex at all?!

Oh, and the mood swings: I was already struggling with depression before getting the depo shot. I couldn't tell if the emotions and feelings I was experiencing on the depo shot were just the regular depression or enhanced due to the shot. After much thought and tracking, I've determined it actually made it WORSE. My cycle going on for as long as it has is not helping. The feelings were heightened and more intense than normal. What would have been a normal "worse" episode due to PMS has become this constant feeling of just wanting everything to stop.

All my emotions are just more intense than they normally would have been. I'm so tired of being intensely sad or being brought to tears over the dumbest thing. I don't want to cry over a really cute Pokémon or because I noticed something new in a movie I've seen 100x. These emotions AND the intense hunger are the same thing I went through when I was pregnant. I just wanted to have sex without getting pregnant or needing to get plan b. I didn't want to go full abstinence here. It feels like I've just lost control of my life and body and I hate it.

I have another minor health issue that already has my body in a mild constant state of pain. And I should have taken that into consideration before getting starting. I should have waited to figure out the other stuff first. So instead of worrying about one or two things, I'm worried about 4.

My cycle restarting again this morning is my tipping point. And after doing more research and hearing others and their experiences, I'm not getting the third shot. This is not for me. I'm going to do extensive research on the IUD before deciding to get it.

TL;DR: I'm in my late 30's and only have two options for birth control - Depo shot or IUD. I got the depo. It gave me horrible mood swings, acne, fatigue, changes in eating habits, heartburn, acid reflux, fatigue, hot flashes, worse depression episodes, and a period that's lasted well over 30 days (and still going) with daily bloating, and weight gain! AND ALL WITHIN THE FIRST 3 MONTHS OF THE FIRST SHOT! I'm an emotional wreck and have spent more on period products in the last month than I have in the last 5 months. At my doctor's recommendation I got the second shot without doing more research (my bad) and have decided NOT to get the third.

submitted by /u/ItchyNarwhal
[link] [comments]
SHARE

Milan Tomic

Hi. I’m Designer of Blog Magic. I’m CEO/Founder of ThemeXpose. I’m Creative Art Director, Web Designer, UI/UX Designer, Interaction Designer, Industrial Designer, Web Developer, Business Enthusiast, StartUp Enthusiast, Speaker, Writer and Photographer. Inspired to make things looks better.

  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Please ...
Don't enter span link...